June 11, 2021
7 Ways to Ease Your Cat’s Anxiety Naturally
You’re probably familiar with the terms “fraidy cat” or “scaredy-cat”. Well, anxiety and fear in cats are a real issue. In fact, 24% of all cats (more than 22 million) suffer from at least 1 anxiety issue. What’s more, is that more than 20% of kitties suffer from multiple anxiety issues. The sad reality is that the majority of cats (67%) are not treated and suffer in silence.
Cat owners may be all too familiar with the most common triggers of anxiety and fear in cats. Whether it’s a trip to the vet, moving to a new home, or too much noise stress can lead to some unwanted feline behaviors. Some of these behaviors include hiding, excessive grooming, not eating, hissing, and even biting. But the most common behavioral issue veterinarians report observing in cats is peeing outside the litterbox. Furthermore, stress and anxiety are contagious and it’s not uncommon for cat parents to experience stress and anxiety as well.
What to do to help your cat without resorting to Kitty Prozac? Fortunately, there are some natural anxiety remedies that may help.
- Calming pet supplements: L theanine, tryptophan, and choline are examples of ingredients that may help with cat anxiety.
- Pheromone Sprays: pheromones are naturally produced by cats and trigger a cat to relax. The sprays on the market are manufactured in a lab to mimic the real thing.
- Catnip: counterintuitive yes. Catnip is considered a stimulant and while that’s true, the magic happens when the high wears off. Most cats will naturally chill out when the high wears off. There’s nothing like a little catnip to take the edge off 😊.
- Safe Spaces: few things freak a cat out more than not being able to get away from a threat. Think the vacuum, a dog, or an energetic toddler. You can help alleviate your cat’s anxiety by providing a safe place to escape from the center of activity. One option is to purchase a cat tree.
- Calming herbs such as Valerian and Chamomile. These herbs are common stress relievers for both pets and pet parents alike.
- CBD: The anecdotal evidence supporting its use for cats with anxiety is quite compelling. Learn more about CBD and cat anxiety here.
- TLC: there’s nothing like the reassuring touch of a loved one to calm your nerves.
“Chill Kitty Kitty” CBD cat calming treats are all-natural, tasty salmon flavored soft chews infused with CBD, catnip, valerian root, tryptophan and choline. They’re the perfect remedy to help ease your cat’s anxiety naturally.